Thanks so much for the thoughtful in put to my “Fresh” post. The kudos were nice to get, and the ideas were great!
Here is a boiled down list of suggestions:
- Cover trends in countries other than the U.S.
- Comparison of covers from countries other than the U.S.
- The use of stock photos: financial issues, pros & cons, exclusive rights, cover-specific photo shoots
- Evolution of covers for books long in print
- Historical accuracy on historical fiction
- Publisher’s process in choosing cover art: Interviews with graphic designers, photographers, editors, big booksellers and authors about the choice of a book cover
- Book spines
- Cover trends over the decades (admission: I’ve been working on this one for a long time, with the goal of a journal article, perhaps far into the future – there’s a lot to look at
I keep a backlog of post ideas, so you may not see all of this right away – but be assured I will be working with these suggestions in mind.
IF you are a cover designer, cover photographer, editor who makes cover choices, bookseller who influences choices, or author who has a book cover story, I’d love to hear from you at jacketwhys (at) gmail.com.
Many thanks to all who responded!